Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Phelps Family Christmas Party 2009

Saturday was our Phelps family Christmas Party. It was held at Darla's church in So. Jordan and we had a wild time getting there. I woke the kids up at 8:00 because we had 40 LBS of potatoes to peel, cut, cook, and mash. The kids were such a great help. I can't complain because of the 21 years that I have been attending these parties. This is the 1st time I have been assigned the potatoes. Anyhow, after leaving an hour later than we wanted to (you know how it goes) we got a call from Brad who had left 10 minutes before us letting us know that traffic was at a crawl out at Lakepoint. After deliberating on what to do and knowing that Alyssia was waiting or us in West Valley we decided to forge ahead. We got to the stoplight at Flying J just as a trooper pulled right up in the middle of the intersection. He immediately started turning EVERYONE around because of the many accidents on I-80. He said the interstate would be closed for 4-5 HOURS. Dang. We had know other choice but to go the back way through Lehi which would take us 1 1/2 hours. The whole time I'm thinking, "What on earth are we going to do with 40 lbs of cold potatoes." Needless to say we made the trip and would you believe it. They hadn't even started the dinner yet AND our potatoes were still warm. (Truly a Miracle) It sounds like the snow kept more than our family from getting there on time. DeeAnn was 10 minutes behind us and there were some from ID that braved the icy roads and had a treacherous trip themselves getting there just before us. So it turned out OK after all:)

Here's a pic of Rick and I just happy that we made it!

Jenni, Destinee, Julie, and Kendra

It's great to be cousins AND the best of friends!



Here's DeeDee with two of her grandbabies. Charity and Brecken. So Cute!



Larry and Darla changed up the program a bit this year and assigned all of the families to sing a song. They put on a nice skit with all of the music and it turned out great!
The next few pictures are of some of Fern's great-grandkids.
She has over 70! I've lost count because they just keep coming!

The kids sang "Christmas Bells".

I had to take 3 pics to get them all:)




After the program Santa came to visit. The kids got to tell their Christmas wishes. Here's the twins posing with the big jolly fellow.


I should mention that the night before our party we had our adult get together at Larry and Darla's and had a GREAT time. We each brought a main dish and a dessert to share! We enjoyed visiting and playing the white elephant game. We Love our fam!



2 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe you were out in that traffic! 70+ great-grandchildren, that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janell, this is the first writing I've read from your Blog, but it looks like you've been blogging quite a long time! How NICE!! I'm eager to read other things you've written, but this one is really well done. I appreciate all the wonderful pictures. Aren't those 4 big-girl cousins darling?? (and beautiful!) I saw pictures of your Skylar in Paraguay, and thought how fantastic it is that you can have communication so QUICKLY these days with your missionary! Isn't that GREAT?? I'll close now cause I'm eager to read about your Christmas with Kathy's family. I'm DELIGHTED that you're there!! Love, Karen (p.s.--I have a blog name, but I don't really do Blogging yet. I don't know HOW very well!)

    ReplyDelete