Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Holiday Happenings

We have had a lot of holiday happenings around here the last couple of weeks.  Before we left for Orlando in the middle of November I asked Rick if we could put up two of our Christmas trees.  I knew that we would not be home until after Thanksgiving to put up some Christmas decor.  Rick is one who does not like anything Christmas BEFORE Thanksgiving so I asked him politely and told him how much I REALLY wanted to have a couple of trees put up before we left for Florida.  Plus,  I told him with sad eyes, "I didn't get to have a tree last year...."  (because we were on our mission)  

It worked and he relented.

I first set up my favorite tree in the music room.  I love this tree so much because it has pictures of the Savior hanging all over it.  A few years back at Swiss Days, I came across a booth by the artist Liz Lemon Swindle, who's work I love.  She had a group of framed pictures of the Savior for sale that could hang on garland and/or a tree.  I loved the idea of adding these pictures to my gold tree in there music room.  They have been the focal point of this tree ever since that first year.  

My second tree was set up in the dining room.  I have loved this tree because its the first one you see when you come in the front door.  This year I had an idea.......I wanted to make this dining room tree into a "Thankful" tree.  I texted all of the kids and asked them to think of something that they have been grateful for this year in particular.  I wanted to make each idea into an ornament and hang it on our tree.  I loved the thought of having this tree up during the Thanksgiving holiday with it filled with  our thoughts of gratitude.  I love the idea of seeing how our thankful tree changes through the years, particularly as our grandchildren grow older and their thoughts change on the things that they are grateful for.

I was hoping to do individual ornaments but I went the easy way and made one ornament for each family.  Maybe I'll do individual ones next year, we'll see.  I loved having both of these trees up early and I told Rick that I want both of these trees up before Thanksgiving next year, and every year.  I want this to be a new tradition for us.  Because, really....  isn't contemplating your blessings and focusing on the Savior and serving others what the whole holiday season is about???   

 He liked the idea and now we have started a new tradition.





Another holiday happening was our first Christmas party of the year.  We had our Superior Asphalt end of the year party at Braza Grill on December 2nd.  Braza is a small restaurant that we have enjoyed through the years.  They have a small room in the back that we were all able to fit in (barely).  When we all get together you can really tell that this is a family owned company.  Ninety percent of us at the party were related.  It was a fun night visiting with everyone and eating delicious brazilian meats brought right to our table.

A shot from both ends of the long table.....



The gift table.
Baskets, chocolates, work gloves, hats, pens, and bonuses for all the workers.






Rick came home one evening and told me that DeeAnn and Darrell had invited us to spend an evening with them.  Back in September, DeeAnn had made reservations at the Roof and Hale Theatre to have a nice evening with her unmarried kids.  Well, as timing would have it Dalton and Austin had the opportunity to take a trip to Hawaii during this time that she had planned their special family evening.  Because they had extra tickets they invited us to take Dalton and Austin's place.

We loved our night with the Allens!  Dinner and conversation was wonderful as we overlooked the beautiful Salt Lake Temple and enjoyed live piano music.  The restaurant was the busiest I had ever seen it.  They are booked out for the whole holiday season.  It is good that DeeAnn planned ahead:)





I am not a huge fan of "A Christmas Carol".  I don't know why because I love a lot of Charles Dickens' writings.  I just have never really cared for this particular one.  I tried watching the movie once and fell asleep through it.  But can I tell you.... I loved the production!  The actors did such an amazing job and the play was filled with Christmas carols.  I loved how at the end of the story Ebenezer Scrooge's heart was changed.  He was a selfish, wicked man who through the ghost of his friend Marley helped him to see that he needed to change.  I loved feeling gratitude for Jesus Christ.  It is through him that we ALL can repent and put off the natural man and be able to change from our wicked state into something better.  

Thanks to DeeAnn and Darrell for such a wonderful night!



The very next night we had our ward party.  As ward missionaries we have been encouraging our ward members to bring a friend to this party and have been trying to invite others as well.  We had so many people come!  It was a fun night and we had plenty of food to go around!

Skylar and Sarah and Henry were asked to be part of the program.  They did some fun music and dance moves to entertain us.  Rick and I and Skylar and Sarah were also asked to sing a song.  It was a song written by Jen Shepherds mother.  It was difficult to learn and we did not have much time to practice.   We all hit a couple of wrong notes during the performance....including the pianist,  but all's well that ends well, right??


So far we have had a busy and wonderful Christmas season celebrating with friends and family! 


No comments:

Post a Comment