Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Life in Kampala

So this is our new normal.  We wake up, drive to the office and do office stuff!  It hasn't actually been as bad as we were anticipating.  We are both VERY green at what we are doing but there are others in the office who are giving us a hand at knowing how to accomplish our responsibilities.  

We started last Thursday with the outgoing couple Elder and Sister Bratsman teaching us of our responsibilities.  It was definitely a crash course!  They flew out that night and we showed up Monday morning full of faith that we could do what needed to be done.

Suzy, Sarah, Richard, Godfrey, and John are paid African employees that really know what they are doing.  I'm glad that they are there to help me:)  I'm slowly learning how to do things as I tinker on the computer and fiddle around on IMOS.  It also helps that there is a ten page instruction manual that I think I've read up to five times in completion.  I keep going back to reread the different responsibilities that I'm supposed to be working on for the next couple of weeks.

Yesterday I was able to mail 10 letters with pictures attached to either parents or Priesthood Leaders letting them know that their Elders/Sisters made it safely to the mission.  I felt pretty darn proud of myself for getting that done!  After our day ended Rick said,  "This isn't too bad......I kind of thought it was fun!!"  He's cute!  Everything is wonderful to him!

me at my desk



                               Rick being his goofy self trying to look busy:)



So one of the best things about living in Kampala is the wonderful restaurants.  I mean, just look at this food!!!!


I've decided that I'm not going to cook much while we are here.  I think it's fine to have a snack for lunch and then eat out for dinner:)

The BAD thing about living in Kampala is,.....hands down.......THE TRAFFIC!  

It takes us 45 minutes to get to the office just a few short Kilometers away.  Our GPS says it should take us five minutes to get there.  I am completely blown away by the driving in this place.  There is no way to properly explain it so I won't even try.  Have you ever driven in Rome???.......  Worse!  I never thought I would say that after driving in Rome.  (well, riding actually.  Rick was driving......)  But it is WORSE than Rome.  It is crazy the amount of people in this city.  

The office must be bringing us good luck!!.  Just today our Christmas package from Skylar and Sarah showed up!  Good thing it got here before we left for home.   How about those adorable grandchildren!  So beautiful!!  S & S also sent us some candied almonds, breath savers, hot cocoa mix, and a recording of their Christmas well wishes!!   It was a nice surprise for us!!  


Tomorrow morning we are driving up to the North and will be staying at Chobe Lodge.  It is located in Murchison Falls National Park. (where we went on our couples retreat back in December)  The accommodations are very nice and it is about an hour and a half drive to Gulu where Rick is going to do the two branch audits on Thursday.  Friday we drive to Lira for two more audits and then either overnight there or drive the three hours over to Mbale where we will be working for the weekend.

                           Off to bed!  Goodnight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment