Friday, March 24, 2017

Let Us All Press On

This morning I thought of an experience that I don't think I recorded.  In the second month of our mission (November....or maybe early December)  Elder Phelps and I had to drive up to Lira for some business.  I can't remember the business right now but I do remember it was on a Sunday.  We had attended meetings in the Lira Branch and then had to go over to the Adyel Branch (in Lira as well) for the business.  As Elder Phelps was visiting with the Branch President I was able to go into the chapel where there were a few members finishing up watching a session of General Conference.

I couldn't tell which session we were watching but I felt myself reflecting on the last hymn of the October General Conference.  I remember that it was the most stirring arrangement of 'Let Us All Press On' that I had ever heard.  When I heard it for the first time sitting in my basement at home (leaving the very next day for the MTC) I was in tears for the beauty of that hymn!  It meant so much to me as it spoke of "pressing on in the work of the Lord"  I loved hearing the encouraging words "Fear not" and "Courage! For the Lord is on our side!" I definitely needed courage as Rick and I were about to set off for the biggest adventure of our lives!  The last verse sings "....but an unseen power will aid me and you in the glorious cause of truth!"  What comfort that brought to my heart as I thought of angels attending us in the far off country of Africa!  The Choir sang so beautifully and I shed buckets of tears as my heart was filled with the Spirit!

Sitting in the Chapel of the Adyel Branch I found myself silently wishing/praying that I could hear that wonderful hymn arrangement again.  As the hymn was introduced,  my heart was soaring for this tender mercy.  I closed my eyes and soaked in the beauty of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing that beautiful hymn.  I think I maybe even teared up again:)

Just after that experience I learned how to download hymns from General Conference from lds.org and I saved that one on my computer.  Since then we have listened to that hymn dozens of times.  It brings strength to my soul.  Elder Phelps laughs some days when I play it two or three times in succession in the mornings when I'm getting ready for the day:)  It is so stirring!  I love it!

If you don't remember hearing it go to lds.org and look under General Conference and play the last hymn of the conference.  You will be amazed!!  And if Sister Mouritsen by chance is reading this I would LOVE to sing this hymn sometime in the summer with the ward choir.  Can you make it happen???  HaHa!!  Just kidding, but seriously though!!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely needed to hear that beautiful rendition of that hymn this morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete