Sunday, June 4, 2023

AGING PARENTS

The day after getting home from Capitol Reef, a Sunday, I attended church meetings and then headed out for St. George.  I overnighted there before  driving to Vegas the next morning. 

My dad had gone into the hospital the day before in preparation for another leg surgery.  His knee had opened up again so the dr wanted to get it closed back up.  These are graphic pictures but reality.




I got there Monday morning.  My mom was happy to see me and glad that I was going to stay for the week.  My dad was supposed to have surgery that day but for some reason my dad wasn't on the schedule.  He started having trouble with his lungs again.  His Dr. thought it was the pneumonia coming back.  They rescheduled the surgery for Tuesday, and then Wednesday, and then Thursday.  His lungs were just not looking good so they kept postponing.  On Wednesday they pulled 1.4 liters of fluid out of his chest cavity.  He could breath much better after that.  He had his surgery on Thursday and all went well (except he didn't have the surgery until after nine o'clock that night, fasting all day.)  It is now a week later and he is very swollen and his lungs have been filling back up with fluid.  The Dr. is stumped and doesn't know how to help him.  They are planning to pull the excess fluid out again to help with his breathing.  He hates being in the hospital and is just miserable with everything that is going on.  It is hard to watch.

In the meantime, my mom was doing pretty well.  She does not walk anymore so she is wheeled everywhere she goes.  Mainly to the bathroom and back to the couch or into bed.  There were a few days that she was very emotional.  Her dementia doesn't seem to be getting any worse.  I think the medications she is on is helping that.  Her blood pressure is all over the place meaning one day it is fine and then the next it is very high.  Her meds help with that, as well.  I was able to take her out each day to spend time with my dad.  They love being together!

After returning home she couldn't remember being with him so we also did a lot of FaceTiming so they could talk to and see each other.  It is cute.  My mom will say "I love you" then my dad would return with "I love you, too".  My mom would say TWO?  Then my dad would return with "Well maybe Three".  Also my mom would ask how much do you love me and my dad would say "a bushel and a peck".  These words are spoken EVERY TIME they are together or on the phone and usually is said multiple times.
 
They're in love!




        I left on Friday to drive back home and will return at the end of the month.

  As of now my dad is still in the hospital without any set time of being able to return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment