Sunday, July 7, 2019

Independence Day 2019

My ten little firecrackers!!





On the night of the third we had planned to go to the Bit and Spur Rodeo with our friends Robert and Shawna Zink.  I had been so excited for the holiday to get here.  I don't know.  The Fourth of July is just such a great holiday.  I love the sense of community that is felt on the Fourth.  I love reflecting on the many who have given so much to defend our country and to keep the freedoms that I enjoy.  I know that I cannot even begin to understand the price that our veterans of foreign wars have paid for these blessings.  I love how we honor the flag and all that it stands for.  

At the beginning of the rodeo we all honored members of each of the armed forces.  Tears were streaming down my face as this took place.  I love America and recognize it as a place of liberty and freedom.  What a blessing it is to live here.  I know it is taken for granted.  I try to always give thanks to God for his goodness upon me in allowing me to be a part of such a great nation.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Here are a few pictures of our time at the rodeo.




The rodeo itself was kind of a dud.  It seemed that the cowboys had a hard time qualifying for their events.  Even though there weren't many qualifiers we still had a good time....and a late night. We drove home with the top down on the convertible and just let the wind run through our hair.
The weather was cool and perfect!


After getting home so late on the night before this year's fourth of July started out early.
A few weeks ago we invited Skylar and Sarah to join us in preparing for the Ray Barrus 5K Scholarship Run.  We all have been trying to increase our excercise routines to prepare. 

We started the race at 7:30 am amidst so many people from Grantsville.  It was a good feeling being a part of the community, knowing that our participation will in some small way help out in someones education through this scholarship.  While I knew from the very beginning that I would only be walking (my knees would NOT appreciate even jogging) every one else did their best to run the whole thing.  Skylar and Sarah came in just under thirty minutes.  Rick was just over thirty minutes and I was just over fifty minutes.


The good thing about coming in after everyone else is that I had a good cheering section when I crossed the finish line:)  Rick even got a video of me:) 

Even though it was an early morning we were all glad to be involved.


After the run we went home to get ready for the day.  Rick and I made a nice big breakfast of french toast, eggs, hash browns, bacon and fruit for breakfast.  The Phelps' and Kaitlyn and the kids joined us.  It was super delish after our big morning!

Next, was the parade.  We had reserved some spots the night before right under a tree close to the beginning of the parade route.  The kids looked so cute and were excited to be at the parade.  They got sooooo much candy, it's not even funny.

Here are some pics...









I got these nice shades from a participant in the parade.
Pretty cool!


After the parade Rick and I were able to enjoy the afternoon to ourselves.  We both got a nice nap before the preparations for the bbq began.

Kendra and Brach's home is right behind the city park where the fireworks are let off every year.  Kendra has been excited to host a big bbq at her home the night of the fourth.  It turned out well except it was very cold that night.  We were all bundled up in sweatshirts and blankets for the dinner and fireworks.  The weather this year is just really strange.  

Sweatshirts and blankets on the Fourth of July??  Seriously??

I decorated this cake the day before on the third.  I have been following baking with blondie on instagram since January.  I found this flag cake on her blog at that time and have been so excited for independence day to come to be able to make it.  I think it turned out really cute!  I took it to the bbq as one of my potluck items.

It tasted super good!
I wish I had a piece right now:)



This year's Independence Day was filled with food, family, friends and fun!           

No comments:

Post a Comment