Wednesday, March 20, 2019

St. Patrick's Day Shenanigans

St. Patrick's Day was a busy one.  I have been following a lady on Instagram who bakes cakes.  Her name is Mandy Merriman and is known as Baking With Blondie.  Well, she posted a picture of a cake on social media that I wanted to try but with a St. Patrick's Day twist.  I wanted to use green hues instead of the pink that she used.  I was super excited to give this cake a try, and even though there were a number of things that went wrong in the decorating I still feel it was a success:)  It sure tasted good:)  Rick didn't think my cake was going to be big enough (it was a small three tired six inch cake), so he thought he'd make one specially for the littles.  His turned out pretty cute, too:)

Since I had been assigned to speak in church that day I spent a while in the morning adding some last minute thoughts to what I had prepared and then got started on decorating my cake.  While I had a good time with that I will admit that the white chocolate ganache drip was a hair raising experience!  I definitely need more practice with that!  But all in all I thought it turned out pretty cute!

The talk went well.  Cory Clark had asked me to speak on the joy of missionary service and having people in our home.  In our Stake Conference last month, President Killian (our Stake President) had asked that each of us "invite someone into our homes for a spiritual experience.  I felt that was so inspired!  Rick and I decided many months ago that in our callings as ward missionaries we would try to do that very thing.  For the past six months it has been a blessing to be in others' homes and to invite others into our home.  We usually have a meal and a spiritual thought but the greatest blessing is getting to know our neighbors and friends on a more personal basis.  I shared some special experiences that have come because of doing this.  

Anyway, it was a good experience preparing the talk and FINISHING the talk:)

Here are our cakes..... 



After church we had the family over for dinner and family night.  We served corned beef and cabbage, ham, green mashed potatoes, green beans, green deviled eggs, and green salad, with rolls.  I have never served a green meal before and while it tasted great it sure looked weird, especially the green potatoes!

My little leprechauns!  Cuties!


Brady



                                                                 Daisy


After dinner the kids played outside because the weather was really nice and we have been waiting for spring for a looooong time.  It has been a long cold winter.

Later Rick took the kids upstairs for a movie while the adults had a family night on a talk President Benson gave back in 1979 to the BYU students called "In His Steps".  It was wonderful to discuss spiritual things and how we can fortify our lives to prepare for the Savior's second coming.  

I love these times!


No comments:

Post a Comment