Sunday, November 18, 2018

Phuket, Thailand

Our next stop on the tour was Phuket, Thailand.  Rick and I had been looking forward to being in Phuket because we have heard much about it's beauty.  Our day started early and lasted looooong!  We had an early flight to Singapore but then had a SIX HOUR layover in Singapore before we could catch our next flight into Phuket.  It wasn't originally planned to be this way but the flight into Singapore got bumped a couple of hours which made it so we could not make our connecting flight until the late afternoon.  This was such a bummer because originally we only had a day and a half in Phuket and so this made our time there even shorter. 
 We made the most of it though...cause what can you do??

We flew into Singapore which honestly, if you want to get stuck in an airport this one is a good one:)  It is rated as the top airport in the world.  It is nice.  Very clean with lots to do.  First we had to clear immigration, then collect our bags and clear customs then next we had to check our luggage in for our next flight.  After that was accomplished, the first order of the afternoon was to find some food.  We ate at a fun Thai restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed our meal!  We ordered noodles, rice and lemon chicken.  So good!    


Next we went in search of a massage parlor.  We found it in a different terminal and instead of a massage decided to do the reflexology treatment.  We had two nice gentlemen (Jumi and Eric) rub our feet for forty minutes and it was GREAT!   Rick was cute.  He was a little unsure about the whole thing but enjoyed it after all:)  He had a nice conversation with our reflexologists (is that even a word?) and now we have two new friends in Singapore:-)  


We found a Krispy Kreme Donuts and had to stop!


We arrived in Phuket late that evening.  Our whole group was tired from a day of traveling, but dinner was included this night so we drove an hour to get to the restaurant and ate late.  I didn't eat too much because of the lateness of the hour plus the food was really different.  You know...real asian stuff.....lots of lemongrass, and seafood.  I was picky about what I ate but ended up getting sick anyway.  By the time we made it to the hotel my stomach was giving me fits.  Not fun.  We were both very tired at this point and knew we had a full day ahead of us so we went right to sleep.  It wasn't the greatest night for me with my stomach and all, but the next morning I forged ahead.  I did not want to miss the elephant encounter.  I skipped breakfast and Rick bought me a coke and off we went.

It was about an hour's drive to the elephant encounter.  The drive there was nice with some great views of the Andaman Sea.  Phuket is known for it's beautiful beaches!

After arriving to the "jungle safari" we all got a chance to ride in an cart pulled by two cows.  It lasted about five minutes. Kinda hokey but it was all part of the experience:)



Next we stopped by a water buffalo for a photo opportunity.


Next was a demonstration on how rice was farmed and processed in the olden days.  It's amazing to me how much work goes into getting all of those grains of rice prepared for eating.  It takes about three months for the rice to grow, then it is chopped off the stem and brought in for processing.  The rice is shaken off of the stems, pounded down to get the husks off an then sifted to separate the rice from the husks.  Rice is such a staple in so many countries!  It is a lot of work to prepare from farm to table.



Our next stop was to see "the monkeys".  They were Macaque monkeys and had been trained to do cool things: pull down a coconut from a tree, ride a tricycle, slam dunk a basketball, lift weights, and beg for money.  They were cute but I did feel kind of sorry for them being chained up, exploited  and having to live in small cages:( 




Next stop was some Thai cooking.  We watched a couple of ladies make up some papaya salad.
I love cooking classes!



Rick enjoyed a taste.  I declined considering my stomach and all.


During the cooking show I saw this happening and had to come up for a closer look.  This elephant was getting a shower!


Little did I know he was getting showered to give rides for our group.
There were three women and three men who went for a bareback ride on the elephant.
Rick was one of those.  My hero:)


Next, each couple got to ride an elephant.
This is our guide, Don, and our elephant's name was Dandy.



You can't see the elephant but yup, we're riding him!


Dandy wanted some bananas from Kim, on the next elephant over, and was pretty persistent about it.


Our group on the elephants.


           Don was really nice and made me a bracelet and a ring out of palm strands.


The finished product.


Next we got to see two elephants do some tricks.  They played soccer, did some gymnastics, hula hooped around their trunk and gave massages to two men in our group.  Elephants are amazingly smart and so interesting looking!



There was a place in the park that offered fish pedicures (also known as a fish spa).  
These little Garra Rufa fish eat the dead skin off of people's feet.  
I tried it but ahem, DID NOT like it.
Kinda freaked me out.  Rick didn't mind it so much.  He's super ticklish on his feet so in his own words, "It tickled the dickens out of me!"


Next was a demonstration of Thai boxing.



Next we saw a rubber tree and how the sap is collected and made into rubber sheets.  Super amazing what Heavenly Father has created for us to help us here on earth.




At the end of the jungle tour some of us were ready to head back to the hotel while some stayed on to go on a canoe ride and have lunch.

We were thinking to try to charter a boat and go out to the famous Phi Phi island but it didn't work out.  We needed just one more day in Phuket to do some snorkeling but maybe next time.....

Instead we opted to stay at our hotel and enjoy the beach and hotel.  Let me tell you, THAT was the thing to do!  We so enjoyed the beautiful warm waters of the pool and beach.  We ordered lunch poolside. It smelled so delicious!  We both ordered nice big meals plus drinks and unfortunately when the food came I could only have a few bites because my stomach felt terrible!)  Rick pretty much ate both meals because I could only take a few bites:(

We had made an appointment to have a couples' massage and seriously I was wondering if I would be able to do it but thankfully my stomach calmed down within the hour and we were able to do it.  This was Rick's first massage and he loved it!  They ARE definitely nice.

We enjoyed the rest of the afternoon at the beach and pool visiting with others in our group.  We stayed out until sunset.  I did not want to leave the beach.  It was so beautiful and warm and inviting. I knew this would be our last time to enjoy the beach while on this vacation so I was trying to stay as long as possible.




The sunset was so beautiful!



We finished up the night at the hotel restaurant.  My stomach was feeling better and I had a wood fired pizza that was super delish.  Rick ordered the fish and chips and we both ordered specialty drinks; for me it was the virgin sunrise and Rick had a virgin mojito.  

A good way to end our stay in Phuket!

No comments:

Post a Comment