Wednesday, January 3, 2018

On Our Way!!

Another January has come which means another Anniversary outing!  Back before I turned fifty in September I told Rick that I would love to combine my birthday with our anniversary and do something "extra special".  I have been wanting to go to New Zealand for quite some time and so this was my designated vacation spot to plan for.  He liked the idea and so we started making plans.  When visiting a new country we generally like to go to one place and stay for a week but I thought a cruise would be an ideal way of seeing different places in New Zealand.  We started looking for cruises at that point.  Spots were filling up really fast for the type of room we wanted so by July 4th we had our reservations made.  Here it is six months later and we are on our way!

Our travel time was the longest of any we have ever taken.  Even compared to our flights to and from Uganda.  From the time we left our home to the time we set foot in Sydney it was twenty nine hours!  We few from SLC to LAX and then had a layover for five hours.  Then we had a twelve and a half hour flight to Fiji with a three hour layover there.  Next it was a four and a half hour flight to Sydney.  Luckily our long flight to Fiji was not even close to being full so we each had a row of four chairs all to our selves!  

We crossed the international dateline so we jumped from January 1st to the 3rd in one fail swoop.

This picture shows on our faces just how long that flight was.


We are staying in downtown Sydney Harbor Marriott for a night.  We have been upgraded to a suite and it is very nice.  Outside our window is a partial view of the Harbor Bridge and lots of high-rises.   The jet lag is something that we (mostly me I think) are battling right now trying to get adjusted to this new time zone.  Sydney is 18 hours ahead of Grantsville.  

Here is our hotel (the one with the red writing on it) taken from the harbor. 



 When we arrived our room was not quite ready so we walked over to the harbor for some lunch and a short harbor cruise to pass the time.  We got to see the famous Sydney Opera House as well as travel under the Harbor Bridge along with some other nice points of interest.





After our sightseeing we were able to get into our room and I took a nice long, hot bath.  I fell asleep shortly thereafter:)  One thing that's nice with our stay here is the Concierge Lounge.  It is a lounge on the second floor that serves a full breakfast in the morning, afternoon tea and cakes (for us, water and cakes :)), evening hors d'oeuvres, and then nightly fruit and desserts.  We took advantage of this perk and had our dinner of mostly appetizers: i.e., cheeses, veggies and hummus, spring rolls with chili sauce, pastrami, hard rolls, and pork rolls.  Anyway, it was a nice and free way to have dinner.

Here's Rick enjoying his complimentary ginger ale:)


After dinner we took another stroll down to the harbor to see some more sights then got back to the hotel for a good night's rest. 


We both woke up feeling refreshed!  This morning we will have breakfast then do a little more sightseeing around Sydney.  We will board our ship around 12:30.

Just a few minutes ago from the window of our room I saw our Princess boat making her way into the harbor!  That's where we will be spending our next nine days as we travel over to New Zealand and see the beauties of that land!

2 comments:

  1. I have followed your blog for sometime now and enjoy your posts. I am a kiwi living in Australia so was interested to read you are doing a cruise around my beautiful homeland, New Zealand. It really is the most spectacular country so I am sure you will enjoy it very much. I look forward to seeing your photos. I am from Auckland so when you are there make sure you go up the sky tower - hopefully you will be there in a clear day! I have also lived in Sydney some decades ago and visited dozens of times. I was last in Sydney in November. I hope you enjoyed the beauty of Sydney Harbour and Circular Quay. There really is no more beautiful Harbour in the world than Sydney Harbour. Anyway enjoy your cruise and I hope you enjoy the beautiful scenery and people in Kiwiland. Regards Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Karen! I had no idea that someone so far away from my hometown (and a perfect stranger to boot) follows my blog! What a fun thought that I have a friend across the globe:) Rick and I have finished our trip to NZ and are staying a few days in Fiji before we head home. I will take some time in the next few days to post about our adventures in NZ. It sure is a beautiful country! Thank you for reaching out and sharing your thoughts. Unfortunately, we did not experience ANY of Aukland because of having to get to the airport to catch our flight. We felt bad not to have been able to explore the area. Maybe on another trip. We both felt during this cruise that it would have been nice to be staying on land and driving around to see different parts of the country. That is generally how we prefer to travel but thought that we would be able to see "more" of the country on a cruise. One thing that this cruise offered over a land trip was the opportunity to see the scenic fiord lands. So breathtakingly beautiful. Anyhow, thanks again for reaching out. I appreciate you visiting my blog:)

      Delete