Saturday, May 9, 2026

San Francisco and Mariners Game

On May 7th Rick and I got up super early to catch a flight to San Francisco.  For Christmas I had bouyght us tickets to the Giants game and this was the weekend!
After arriving and picking up a car we stopped at a place called The Breakfast Club for some really good breakfast.  Rick got a huge plate of chiliquiles and I got my normal eggs, meat and potatoes. (My fave)
Along with our meals we shared blueberry lemon pancakes because who can resist??




After stuffing ourselves silly we drove into the North district of San Fran and went to the Walt Disney Family Museum.  It was interesting.  We got to see some of the makings of how Disney created his cartoons back in the day and how the music was set to the cartoons.  It was pretty innovational for it's time and was a lot of work.  Pretty cool to see the beginnings of the Disney Empire.


Next we drove up to telegraph hill, a large hill right in the busy part of the city.  There is a beautiful park and a cool tower called Coit Tower.  We were excited to get to the top but the elevator wasn't working and it was WAY to many steps for me THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY NINE to be exact.  I got a new knee and all but I figured that would be too much for me but Rick on the other hand loves a good challenge so he went up and got the beautiful views of the bay and the city.  







After Coit Tower we had to get over and drive down Lomard Street.  It is an iconic thing to do in SF.
This picture was taken from the bottom.


Next we drove over to Pier 39.  It's a fun place for tourists to see the cool sea lions and do some shopping and eating:)





I had been looking forward to eating at the famous Tony's Pizza in the North District (Little Italy).  I had seen on line that they had Detroit style pizza and I was in!


This pizza was massive... I mean just look at that thick crust.
We shared a salad beforehand and absolutely could not finish this deliciousness.


Unfortunately after bedding down for the night Rick vomited it all back up.😟
He said he had eaten too much but felt better afterwards.

The next morning he wasn't completely better but was still up for the days adventures.  At least he made himself be up for it.  What a grand day we had!  
We drove over the bridge to Sausolito and rented some e-bikes.  We wanted to ride across the bridge and it was absolutely fantastic.  First we rode down into Fort Baker by the Coast Guard Station for some pictures.  It was so cool to have the whole bridge right there in front of us with the city across the bay.




Next we rode over to the bridge and went across.  There were lots of other bike riders and walkers to maneuver around but man, this was just a fantastic activity!  There were a number of pullouts to just stop and admire the view.  Truly, it was such a highlight of our trip.


After getting to the other side we snapped a few picturew than headed back.



We found this cool looking flower all over the hillside.  I thought it was so unique.

Next we rode through Sausolito to the other side.  I had read that you could walk through some old time houseboats.  Well, there were lots of old houseboats but people were living in them.  It was kinda fun to see the houseboat neighborhood, though.



In the interim of riding our bikes I got a call from Mare telling me that mom was not doing well and that my cousin, Travis, who is my mom's bishop was coming over at 6:00 that night to release her from this life.  She was not expected to live for many more hours.  We decided to see how things played out with her.  The last few times that I have been with my mom I always said goodbye thinking it might be the last time I would see her alive.  I had done that but was torn about not being able to be there for the releasing.  Knowing this was the case we continued on with our day, with  the heaviness of her always being on my mind.  



After turning in our bikes we had time to kill.  Rick went to rest in the car while I grabbed some lunch and just sat and enjoyed the view of the city across the bay and of course, thinking about my mom and shedding a few tears.



After leaving Sausolito we drove to Oracle Park, the reason for our trip in the first place.  We parked our car, FOR FIFTY BUCKS, and then went to grab some dinner.  Rick hadn't eaten all day but felt like he could at that point. 
We stopped at a pub near the park and got some grub.  After dinner at 6:00 I got a call from Mare because it was time for the Bishop's releasing.  We were just standing next to a busy street trying to hear everything that was said while cars were zipping by.  Afterwards, Terri had the phone and asked if I wanted to say some last words to my mom.  It was just so awkward.  I knew people were listening in and cars were speeding by, just not a good moment, but I attempted to tell my mom how grateful I was for her and how much I loved her.  I probably should have just declined because I had already talked to her the last time I had seen her.  Anyway,  after the phone call we walked over to Oracle Park for the game.

Luckily we were able to enjoy the game.  


We bought some merch at the team store.  It was a chilly night so I bought a sweatshirt.  Rick got a tshirt to put on top of his hoodie.  The Giants won and it was a good game.  


After the game we got a good night's rest.  Thankfully for Rick, he was feeling much better.
We got up and drove back into the city and went to the Farmer's Market.


We enjoyed our time there looking at all of the shops and getting some lunch.




 We ended the evening by catching our flight home.  The next day was going to be Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment